5.5 million people in the UK are affected by dental phobia, with almost one in four saying they would rather suffer from toothache than visit the dentist.
There are many reasons behind this fear, including fear of pain, needles, gagging and having things placed inside their mouth. Some people feel very vulnerable in the dentist’s chair, or may be embarrassed by their teeth. Often fear can stem from a childhood incident.
Whatever the reason and if you are one of these people, then there are a number of ways we can help you and some steps you can take to help conquer and/or manage your fear.
- We can take things very slowly so you feel more in control
- We can play music to distract you
- We can use local anaesthetic gel so that you don’t feel an injection
- You can share your concerns with us, we are very sympathetic and here to help
- You can book your appointment for a quiet time of your day so you are more relaxed
- You can do deep breathing exercises
- You may also find aromatherapy or natural remedies helpful
Remember too that modern dental techniques are far more sophisticated, and in many cases pain-free.
If you are worried about seeing us, please contact Cambray Dental in Cheltenham so we can work with you to find the best way of helping you to have and keep a healthy, happy smile.